York: 01904 438973

Immigration Advisory Unit: Immigration Advice in York and Leeds


Entering or Staying to Study

Children and adults can apply for leave to enter or remain in order to study in the UK under the immigration rules.

Tier 4 – (General)

Students wishing to undertake a course of study in the UK should apply under this category of the points-based system. For those students who applied before 31 March 2009 the rules are slightly different.

Tier 4 requirements

The applicant must be offered a place on a course at a UK institution which is registered on the Home Office's Register of Sponsors and obtain a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies from the sponsoring institution.

In addition, the applicant must show that he/she has sufficient funds in order to satisfy the Home Office that course fees will be paid and the student will be able to support him/herself (and any dependants) during the period of study without having recourse to public funds. The general rule is that in order to meet this requirement an applicant will need to provide evidence of cash funds in a bank account.

Furthermore, the applicants have to demonstrate an appropriate level of English depending upon their course of study. The rules and guidance in this area are complex and subject to frequent change.

Under Tier 1 (Post Study Work) category of the points-based system, applicants who obtain a Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree in the UK may be eligible to apply for a two year working visa. It is expected that this category will be abolished in April 2012.

Get in touch …

01904 438973
0113 2805920

Contact Us

Latest News

Changes to the Immigration Rules July 2013

10 June 2013

Full right of appeal for applicants refused leave to enter the UK as a family visitor is to end from 25 June 2013

26 April 2013

Changes to the Immigration Rules April 2013

14 March 2013

Your services and advice were exceptional and we were quite impressed on the follow ups you made which also made us to get on top of it.

More testimonials

Out of office emergency

Police Station
Immigration Advice

07423 327 303

checking service

Back to top